Friday, September 19, 2008

A Jochabed Wanna Be

I've been studying Moses and his mom this past week [Exodus 2:1-10]. What a mom. She saw something special about him (don't we all)...she risked her life and the lives of her entire family to hide & protect him...she planned and prepared (she was an original Martha Stewart in making that basket)...her daughter obeyed her...she trusted her Almighty God...and she LET HER BABY GO. Just like when Abraham sacrificed Isaac I can go along up to the point of the raised knife coming down or Jochebed taking her hands off of the basket then I find myself balking. We don't know how much she knew ABOUT the God of Israel, after 400 years in polytheistic Egypt I'm not sure how much of the oral history had been handed down, but obviously she obviously KNEW her God. He Himself gave her her faith as a gift and when she acted upon it He rewarded her faith by giving her her hearts desire. Lots & lots of lessons in this for me....someone who hangs out in the safe middle ground. The Pharaohs in Egypt during this time are not named but so far 4 courageous women are: the midwives who dared disobey Pharaoh's order to kill newborn Hebrew boys, Shiphrah & Puah; Jochebed the faithful mother & Miriam the sister who is a very quick thinker and so bold.

Thank You LORD for women in Your Word to look up to. Thank You for Your faithfulness to them and me. Who are the courageous, faithful, powerful women of my generation LORD? I am afraid the church has become so like the world I may not recognize them. As a matter of fact...when we meet You & all things are made new will I even recognize myself?

3 comments:

Tricia said...

You always have such great, deep thoughts and insight. Thank you! I am afraid, I would've held on to my sweet 3 month old baby, even if he would've been starting to cause a stir! Thankfully, God knew she would be obedient. I do hope I will be obedient in what God calls me to do. Thanks for all the thoughts!

Lori said...

Wow!
Those people definatley had "deep-water faith" in the deepest of oceans.
I often wonder how I would respond to God if he asked me to give up my child and, yet, I know that I would falter with unbelief.
Thank you for sharing their inspiring stories.

;0)

Carol said...

I often wonder how Moses' mother did what she did... are true selfless act of faith. Much like a mother who gives her baby up for adoption, knowing that death was never intended for her child, but willing to sacrifice and trust God with the child's future... beautiful picture.